** MacTechGroup Meeting Reminder! Tomorrow! Nov 6 - 7PM

Owen Hartnett owen at clipboardinc.com
Tue Nov 5 09:40:18 EST 2013

MacTechGroup

The MacTechGroup holds meetings for Macintosh programmers on the first Wednesday of each month at MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.

Next Meeting:
Nov 6 2013 7:00 PM Building E51 Room 315 MIT Sloan School

NOTE THAT OUR OFFICIAL ROOM IS 315 -
Subject:   Mapping and GIS on the Cheap

Speaker: Owen Hartnett

The first half hour to hour, we have an open discussion session. Our final hour is for the presentation, which will be by Owen Hartnett. Here's the description:

GIS on the cheap

There are two ways to do mapping, commercially and open source.  Commercial mapping software will cost you a minimum of $1500/year, plus other licensing fees for your clients.  Open source will cost everybody $0.  Is Open source mapping yet good enough for prime time?  Owen Hartnett will discuss a number of open source mapping mechanisms including PostGIS, QGIS, MapServer, OpenLayers, OpenJump and maybe even others, and all running on a Macintosh.  If you ever needed to create custom maps for any reason, or think that you might someday, you'll want to check out this meeting.

You can get a map showing building E51 at
<http://whereis.mit.edu/bin/map?oldstate=2&off.x=4620&off.y=1640&hi=bldg_e51&zoom.x=89&zoom.y=38>

The MacTechGrp always meets the first Wednesday of the month. (Sometimes I screw up the date of the notice, but it's always the first Wednesday)

You can get more information on the MacTechGrp and directions at http://www.mactechgroup.org.  We're also on Meetup.com now - check it out.  Please sign up for our group on Meetup, and swell our ranks.  It's free to sign up.  I'm paying the bill.

To contact the unindicted co-conspirator irresponsible for this group,
email owen at clipboardinc.com