Custom UICollectionViewCell question.

Susan Cudmore susan.cudmore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 14:20:59 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I'm trying to use a custom UICollectionViewCell that has a top level view
with subviews including an imageview, and several labels that I need to set
when the cell is loaded. I am using storyboards and creating the
aforementioned views in the cell that shows up when I drag in a
UICollectionView. I believe the identifiers are set correctly and I am
registering the cell with the UICollectionView obj in viewDidLoad. I have
also hooked up Outlets (at least it appears so to me) in my
UICollectionViewCell for each of the properties that I wish to set at run
time.

I'm trying to dequeue my custom cell using its identifier in
cellForIndexPath. I see that the initWithFrame method gets called on my
custom UICollectionViewCell. It seems that unless I set the frame on all of
the views and programmatically add them to the contentView of the
UICollectionViewCell, the views don't show up. At that point, why am I
bothering to put any of these views in IB?

Any idea what I might be missing? Would I be better off creating a nib and
UICollectionView in the storyboard?

Thanks for any pointers!

/Sue