Postgres Tools and Installation

Owen Hartnett owen at clipboardinc.com
Mon Nov 24 13:51:55 EST 2008

At 12:40 PM -0500 11/24/08, Steve Sisak wrote:
>Hi Owen,
>
>While I'm thinking of it -- could you post a list of the PostgreSQL
>tools and installation procedure you recommend?
>
>I'm having some issues with the binary distribution on 10.5.

Skip the binary distribution.  Install from the source.  It's so much better.

All you have to worry about is configure options that you want to add.

You don't have to update the database itself for a second level upgrade:

i.e.  To go from 7.x to 8.x  -- need to update database
	To go from 8.1 to 8.2 -- need to update database
	To go from 8.3.1 to 8.3.5  -- don't need to update database

If you do need to update the database, use the pg_dumpall tool to
back it up to a text file.  Then create a brand new database and load
the backup into it.

Did that cover your issues or do you have more?

-Owen